Introducing Brown, Deim – Artisanal Raw Denim (& Denim Giveaway #3!)
Update: Thanks very much everyone for your entries & congratulations to @grazfather of California & @fabienpenso of France! We drew both of your names and you’ve won yourself the apron & denim, respectively! If by chance you missed this contest, make sure you get in on our next denim giveaway by signing up for our newsletter!
Hailing from Weymouth, Massachusetts, Christopher J. Brown is more than just a fan of raw denim. Having worn raw denim jeans for over fourteen years while working in laborious jobs for Ma-Bell, he became an expert in not only quickly distressing the material, but also in how to optimally repaired and essentially construct them.
Above all though, through his self-taught textile education, he acquired a passion like no other; turning from raw denim enthusiast to purveyor and designer, ultimately leading to starting his very own label – Brown, Deim.
While the denim is sourced from the Kaihara Mills in Japan, Brown, Deim prides itself on ensuring each denim jeans and garment is hand crafted and finished in his Weymouth, MA-based shop. Brown personally hammers vintage copper rivets to the denim on his 100 lb. anvil (see below video), sews each leather keystone patch, and uses bullet shells cut by CRT Metal Works in Hudson, MA.
When learning more from Brown about his label’s goals:
My goal is to offer an honest labor by hand and resurrect the practices of the formative years with American Denim. The two vital claims to the brand: no external marketing, hand crafted.
While Brown, Deim denim’s inconsistency may throw off some, you cannot help but commend Brown for his grassroots vision and dedication. He intends to only produce 100 pairs of denim per year and indeed this is how denim was produced in the early 1900’s.
Denim Giveaway #3!
As we very rarely cover denim (or products) that we have yet to personally encounter, Brown was kind enough to send us a few of Brown, Deim garments below. Thus, just in time for the holidays, we’d like to kick off our Denim Giveaway #3!
- Contest ends on Wednesday, Dec. 28th at 9:00PM MST
- Winners will be contacted shortly after and have until 12:00PM MST on Thurs, Dec. 29th to confirm
- Two ways to enter (doing both gives you two chances)
- Name: Made in America, Hickory Line
- Weight: 14 Oz.
- Denim: Japanese denim, Kaihara Mills
- Fit: Regular
- Hand constructed and finished
- Authentic Bullet Shell Casings
- Traditional Batik/Shibori Indigo Cotton Pocketing
- A&E Tex 150 fishermen’s net weave back pocket design
- Name: Brown, Deim Denim Apron
- Weight: 14 Oz.
- Denim: Japanese, Kaihara Mills
- All pockets, ties fastened with vintage copper rivets, preened on by hand