Heddels has been up and running for a few months now and little did we realize that we have yet to pay tribute to raw denim jackets. There’s no general cut or style per se for denim jackets but most tend to cut just above the waist with buttoned cuffs (similar to shirts) and an adjustable waistband.
By no means will this ring true for all, but I think raw denim jackets are superior to regular jean jackets since you can get them heavier or lighter (ideal for our cooler weather up here in Canada!) and, analogous to raw denim jeans, they result in high contrast fades. As Tellason‘s co-founder Pete Searson says, “Why jeans? It’s the only article of clothing that improves with age” (see interview). I would argue the same applies to raw denim jackets.
In no particular order then, here are five raw denim jackets (part 1/2) to keep in mind if you’re currently hunting around:
1. Studio D’Artisan – DB-430 Denim Jacket
- Weight: 15oz
- Denim: Unsanforized Studio D’Artisan Original Japanese selvage denim
- Weave: 6×6 Warp x Weft
- Dye: Pure Indigo
- Made In: Japan
- Price: $498.00
- Available at: Blue in Green
2. Flat Head – Type II 3XXX Denim Jacket
- Weight: 14 Oz.
- Denim: Unsanforized Japanese Selvedge Denim (3XXX)
- Other: Rope Dyed Denim, Branded Buttons, Riveted Cuff Opening, Pleated Back
- Price: $480.00
- Available at: Self Edge
3. Iron Heart – Type III jacket
- Weight: 21 Oz.
- Denim: Sanforized indigo selvedge denim
- Other: Selvedge detail on placket
- Price: $450.00
- Available at: Iron Heart
4. Levi’s – Slim Fit Rigid Trucker Jacket
- Weight: 12 Oz.
- Price: $68.00
- Available at: Levi’s, Svpply
5. Jean Shop – Indigo Denim Jacket
- Weight: 13.5 Oz.
- Denim: Japanese Selvedge Denim
- Made in: USA
- Price: $280.00
- Available at: Jean Shop
Stay tuned for Part 2.