I would walk 2,300 miles and then I would walk 2,300 more. OK, perhaps that’s a bit much, but these boots have certainly gone 2,300 miles. That’s because reader Kris Foster of San Francisco has used a step counter while wearing his pair of Red Wing Heritage Hawthorn Muleskinner boots over the past 19 months.
At about 8,000 steps a day, plus the occasional bike ride, these have certainly seen their fair share of patina-generating abuse and indigo stains. All the hard wear has taken its toll though, as the right boot has cracked through the sole and Red Wing won’t repair this.
Moral of the story is that it’s best to repair boots early, just like denim. In the meantime, we hope Kris gets his boots to a reputable cobbler for repairs so these can serve him over the next 2,300 miles.
Red Wing Heritage 8083 Iron Ranger Boots
- Material: premium, proprietary Hawthorne Muleskinner leather
- Fabric source: USA
- Made in: USA
- Fit: Size D (regular width) or EE (square width)
- Additional details:
- Originally built for iron miners
- 6-inch boot
- Chrome hardware and speed hooks
- Goodyear welt construction
- Triple stitched
- Double layer leather toe cap
- Leather heel pocket
- Nitrile cork outsole
- Taslan laces
- No. 8 Last
- Available at: END for $309